Monday, November 5, 2012

Small grocery stop

In my attempt to stretch my money and meet my November goal of getting an additional $200-300, I saw that I hadn't gone grocery shopping for myself in the last 10 days... I had the full $60 left in my bank account and $10 in cash. I had to put gas in my car, so I only put a partial tank for $18. Anyone else super glad that the gas prices are  actually coming down?!

I ended up getting some personal items, some lettuce, tomatoes and ziplock bags, all for $10. This was after about a half hour self-argument with myself about it, because I wanted just to get some takeout food instead! For $10, takeout would last me for two meals or more, and I could just cook the rest of the week away. I just wasn't in the mood for cooking yesterday by the time I got to the house, but I was quite hungry.

Sucks to be responsible sometimes. Instead, I was good and bought the produce to make lunch for the remaining of the week and made a quick dinner. Good news is that I can relocate the $40 to my Nov goals. My extra EF goal is done, and I'm down to $60 more for my Christmas fund. These 'money moves' of not getting a want only sting for so long. Though I'm fully over it now (I sure sound spoiled, don't I?), I was really not happy with myself about it while standing at the grocery store.

Temperatures are expected to be in the 40's all week (it was 78 degrees 2 weeks ago!), and I'm looking forward to some warm soup dishes. I cannot cook soup, but I should eventually try. I have also updated all of my goals for the year's end, and will be posting them after I do some more tallying. Stay warm!

6 comments:

  1. I usually lose that argument with myself over take-out if it's Chinese. lol

    I have a feeling you are the most grown-up person in your whole family.....

    And making soup is easy and once you try it you'll see that. Just throw some stock in a crockpot with some veggies, meat(if you like that)and let it do it's thing. The secret to soup is to season it well......and throw a bone of some sort in so the gelatin can seep out and thicken your soupy goodness. ;-)

    Now ya see what you did?......You made me hungry for soup! How about some chicken and dumplings...Mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the comment above. The slow cooker is your friend :) I put vegetable stock, any combination of vegetables and 1 tsp of dried oregano and 1 tsp of dried basil into the pot, stir it all up, put the lid on and leave it alone all day. Makes the most delicious and economical soup ever IMO! And it's a great way to use up loose vegetables if you have those lying around in the fridge/pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you - I frequently try to talk myself into buying things I don't need. But, like working out, once I've done it, I'm happy I didn't cave in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You won your argument and you are that much closer to your November goals. Good job! I third the crock pot idea. It is a wonder and so nice to get home and eat right away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my coworkers brought me a bunch of tomatoes this week, the last of the summer bounty I suppose. They were completely yummy! I made a grilled tomato and cheese sandwich. you'd be surprised how well that works together!!!! Nice change from soup or salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fresh tomatoes. I especially loved when one of our managers would bring in tomatoes (I didn't care much for the really hot peppers or squashes). But they were definitely the tastiest tomatoes.

      Delete