Friday, July 19, 2013

Vacation alternatives

What to do, what to do... when pieces of the puzzle don't fit?

I can't make the numbers work with my vacation plans. I can't travel to IL, stay in a hotel and rent a car as I wanted. Even without the car, which would defeat the purpose of this vacation, the costs come only so close. What would I eat and what would I do on the off time without as much as $20 leftover for the week? I'm creative, but not that much!

I've requested off the first week in August to do something. I just don't know what yet. I'm looking for something closer, maybe some place I can drive to and keep my car, stay at a cheap place and wander around aimlessly, on my own. Part of the money I was separating to pay for airfare could now be used for food and entertainment. How come I never include food in my travel budgets?! Of course, I can always stay home and study. And save the money. And regret it until next year.

Anyway, I still have the 6 pages of info that Sluggy gave me regarding the VA area. She said it'd take a person 2 weeks to do it all. Was that an untold challenge? Ha. It's a possibility.

My vacation budget for the year is $1000 and only $280 have been used for the concert. I may get myself some spending money for the concert, say, $50? That still leaves me with $670. More than enough for those $45/ni rooms I saw while wasting time in Priceline.

I still would prefer to go to Chicago. Oh well... one of these years. Just have to be patient.

4 comments:

  1. Heck, come up here and stay with me for free. There is a bus service that goes into Manhattan or Atlantic City if you want to make day trips.
    There is also Bethel NY to take a daytrip to where Woodstock happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, temptation, temptation. Though NY is so hot in the summer!

      Delete
  2. When checking out those super cheap hotels,sometimes there is a reason they are super cheap --- be sure and check out www.bedbugregistry.com --- its a website where people report if they've encountered bedbugs at a hotel, sometimes you can tell its just a disgruntled patron, but a hotel with multiple complaints means that something is probably up --- I travel for work some (and should be a lot more really soon), and I always use it. At a cost of $3K+ to truly effectively mitigate bedbugs, you DON'T want to risk bringing any home with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is quite a scary considerations. I know some low-end motels may be subject to this, but never thought hotels and inns would be affected. How scary.

      Delete