Thursday, February 23, 2012

Let's talk vacations!

I swear to you, the first stretch of the year is the hardest and longest. If you’re like me and you’re not blessed with flexible time off or multiple Federal holidays, this first stretch can be anywhere from 14-22 weeks without a break! Here’s what will be going on with me. And yeah, I can post about it because I don’t have a house or apartment or anything like that for people to go and steal my stuff while I'm away. Ha-ha!

1. Sometime in the third weekend of March, I will be going to NY. I’m still trying to work with the hotel and see what dates are best (and offer a reasonable discount). This coincides with my DC friend’s spring break.
2. March 30 to Apr 6 I will be in Chicago! I love this place. It’s my dream to move there, in a short 3 years… this coincides with my best friends’ spring break from school, and I can stay at his place, so no hotel cost and minimal food costs.
3. This one is tentative, but a friend of mine from Florida who now lives in China with his wife may be coming over on or around the end of July. I would love to spend time with them, so I may join them at a convention.

Yeah, I do plan my vacations around other peoples’ schedules. But that’s a-OK with me for the time being, since all I really want to do is have fun with them.

Now, let’s talk about budgets. Woo-hoo!
-Vacation #1: This one is hard to estimate at the present time. We may stay in NY 1 or 2 days. We may stay at a nearby hotel or a farther hotel than our destination. So depending on those aspects, my costs are capped at $400 including food, hotel and transportation (5hr drive each way).
-Vacation #2: Airfare was $300 (rounded), so I will throw in another $150 for food and what not. Not that they will let me pay for anything, but still, if I can contribute to anything, I’ll try. I know it’s not easy to entertain for a week!
-Vacation #3: This is another toughie. Depending on what I can work as far as hotels, I may get away with $100 for the rooms, plus any food expenses, so I am capping this one at $250.

Total maximum is $1100 for 3 vacations. I know it sounds like a lot.
I am very proud that I have $1000 in my EF. I have $1025 in my vacation fund (including the $300 already paid for airfare). With the additional March paycheck, I would have about $1500 saved up altogether! I’m in no way spending it all or more than what I have budgeted, but I like the look of that cushion. An EF is truly peace of mind.

How do you go about planning for your vacation(s)? Do you space them out through the year? Do you prefer 1 big vacation or multiple smaller ones?

13 comments:

  1. I think that sounds excellent for 3 vacations! I love planning and just thinking about vacations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you planned it all great. Have lots of fun!! We haven't had a good vacation in so long but that's what you get when you have kids...We plan on using our 3rd salary in June for a vacation this year. But a destination is yet to be determined :) I really would love to go to NY but we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, looking forward to hearing about your vacation. It doesn't have to be big, expensive, long or far to be good, so hope this one coming vacation is not only a 'good vacation' but an awesome one!

      Delete
  3. Look at how far you've come since the beginning. This is one of your happiest posts I've seen yet and on top of that, look at your achievements.

    Complete awesomeness Tanner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a teacher I have no choice when my vacations are but the great thing was, as a single parent, I have always had the same holidays as my daughter so we were always together. Keeps life a little less complicated. You have some great and low cost plans! I've been to Chicago several times and LOVE LOVE LOVE that city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, my friend is a teacher as well, that's why I had to go during that week (which is Spring Break for him). I agree on keeping things a little less complicated, when you can combine things with someone else close to you.

      Delete
  5. I hate that I don't know what I'll be doing for work in a couple of months, because it prevents me from booking vacations. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt your pain when I was on hold while my brother's wife was scheduled to deliver her baby... they gave us a full 6 weeks of range for when the baby would be born, so my planning was literally "I'll take vacation anytime between now and 6 weeks"! I didn't like that one bit.

      Delete
  6. It sure is a long stretch from New Years off to Memorial Day weekend off! Sound like you sure have lots of fun to look forward to - enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great time and good for you to already have your $$ put back!!! We have a vacation savings account set up to cover the costs of our little getaways and some not so little. We too like to have lots of small vacations along the year with a full week at the beach in the summer. My first trip is the end of March with some girl friends, can't wait to kick back for some girl time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, a mini getaway fund. Now, that's an idea!

      Delete
  8. Your plans seem great, Tanner! You had it all budgeted up and even had extra plans with your friends to bunk with. I hope everything went well with your plans. As for me, I usually plan my vacation with friends, so we can get group discounts on tours and accommodations. This way, I’ll have someone to share the motivation to save up with. Haha!

    Regards,
    Exie Bethel

    ReplyDelete