Friday, February 14, 2014

One down, one last to go

Some people think I'm smart (ok, maybe I just like to think they think that way), but when I look back at my long list of mistakes, especially those I continued to do until recently, I feel like a complete fool that hasn't improved that much from 3 years ago. I know, I am my harshest critic, but that hopefully stops me from falling into the same holes in the future.

The mistake I stopped doing until recently was squandering my PT job's money. Before, that money would just linger and mix with my regular pay in my checking account, and 9.5 out of 10 times, it would just disappear without so much a whisper. It'd be spent on my parents, or to cover some overages... it was a nice pillow. It wasn't until almost October of last year that I decided that it would be automatically moved to a savings account as soon as it's received. Since then, I saved enough to complete my car fund ($2k!), and the savings just continue to build. Why didn't I just do this at the beginning?

Something about having it out of sight, out of mind really works, and works really well. The money is still "there" (it's my CapOne360 account, so the savings account is just a few clicks away from my checking account). Overages still happen. But I save a lot more of it when the money is moved away from checking. Ah, the wonders of separate savings accounts...

On a good note, I updated my totals... CC2 has been paid off. Woo hoo! That card remains my only black eye on my credit. I didn't actually know about it until I moved out. By that time, it was 90 days late. I can't help but to think what my credit would be without that one negative. But now it's gone and gone for good. Next and last up, Student Loan #2! My biggest single debt (which was actually comprised of 4 different loans, with different interests--the two remaining ones are only 2.35%). 3 months if I am patient... a lot less if I'm not.

Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. It took many of us YEARS AND YEARS to wise up and you are still SO YOUNG!! By golly be proud of yourself for figuring it out so soon :) :) I understand you wish you started saving your PT money earlier but for today let's celebrate your money smarts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed with you, I wish I had your youth and wisdom because you are going to have one amazing life in your future. I do think you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOHOO! Congrats, girl! Good for you!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even the smartest people make mistakes. Don't be too hard on yourself :) You've learned to make smart financial decisions way before many others do. You can definitely be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you!! We've all been there and don't let anyone tell you differently! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've definitely been there. And still am in some areas. But I'm getting better.

    You're doing a GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete