Monday, November 18, 2013

Mid month check up

See here... left to my own devices, I'll be quiet as a mouse and disappear here and there. Not that I don't enjoy blogging and following people, but I've had things to keep me busy. 4 weeks before my exam, exactly, but who's counting? Oh, yeah. I am.

That said, absolutely no new reports. I'm a horribly boring financial person, not that it is necessarily a bad thing. I have not incurred any new debts, spending is on track, and all continues to be paid as agreed, including snowballs. Christmas spending is also on track, and even at that I am finding savings (like getting a $50 Lowes card for my brother for $40 and a $50 certificate to buy toys for the kids for $25).

I have been aggressively saving my PT job's checks and reached the $500 I mentioned here in no time. Well, ok. It's actually $495.01, but it might as well be done. Although it is extremely late, I've started to seriously consider reaching my goal #3: Increase car savings by $2,000, not counting bonuses, and not counting the $2k I had to rebuild after paying off one of my consolidated loans. As of today, I had already saved $700. Adding the aforementioned $500 brings me to $1200. I could totally cheat and use snowballs for this with little consequence, but wont. The other $800 may come from a variety of places; I might be able to snag about $150 more on Friday from my part time job, another $275 and counting on credit card cash-back and offers, and give or take $40 from rebates and what not. Closing in on $1700. How to get the other $300 within 2 more pay periods before the year is over will be the real challenge, if I may say so myself!

I did come across an interesting situation: I had entered a charity-type raffle a while ago for $20 and forgot all about it, but it seems I won one of the prizes, retail at $120. My first two options: Sell it for cash and add that to my older brother's Christmas gift, since they're having a bit of a hard time, or give it as a Christmas gift. Let's just say I don't think anyone would really want this as a gift itself, and I can say this with a high degree of certainty. I don't need it myself, so I am not even considering (though I wouldn't mind it a lot to keep it, it's kind of neat). That leaves me with either sell it for money and get at least 80% of its value or keep it. It's a technology item, so donating it may be a bit iffy. What do you do when you get prizes that are nice to have, but you don't really need, and could have value in marketplaces?

8 comments:

  1. Well first I'd actually have to buy a ticket on something and then win!! Honestly, when Kazi was little we won every raffle we ever entered - she was a real good luck charm. Now, not so much. I occasionally buy a ticket from a student raising money for something but I never win anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is one of the few items I've ever won... I'm sure I could count them with one hand, if I could remember them!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I kinda don't know what I would do either, I never win anything! But very cool that you did win - & it's ok to be boring, that means no financial drama has happened lately in your life! And that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it? I love technology stuff! 80% is a decent price for a $120 item.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shot you an email. I am a fool for technology stuff, but I think I can do better than just keep it.

      Delete
  4. I would gift it to someone who might want it, or try to sell it. If you're so inclined to donate, it might be easier to sell it, then donate the money to charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most charities, other than thrift stores, would prefer the cash.
      Jay

      Delete
  5. If I knew someone that would like it as I gift, I'd probably do that. But if I didn't and thought it was something neat, I would totally keep it. Enjoy it, you won it.

    ReplyDelete