Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Ring the bells! Spring is coming!

Spring is finally coming... but not before dumping a bit more snow on us. I can deal with that, just look a those 50's and 60's! Woo hoo, time to break open my warm-weather clothes box!

Ahem. I am also coming to the crossroads of my PT job... I really want to quit. And more so than before, for several reasons. While there on Saturday, I was considering the dynamics of quitting entirely...

I make about $100-$220 on average per check (every 2 weeks). I spend an additional $60 on gas, and probably an additional $30 on average on food while at my parents'. Giving up my weekends for less than $100 is really not that entertaining anymore, and since our old manager left, that place is falling to shambles. It's hard to work there when you're one of a very few that actually do work, while others (including supervisors!) sit on their forsaken phones playing Farmville. But I digress.

Income would go down, sure.. but by a little. I've never counted PT job's income into any calculations, so missing it wont ruin any existing plans. Being debt free by mid May "frees up" about $810 in snowball/debt payments. That money is already promised elsewhere (aka, building savings for move), but it makes a difference that I don't owe anyone other than myself.

After I cooled off my head on Sunday, the urge to quit dissipated. I have a fierce loyalty to this place... perhaps had, since it's no longer fun without our old manager keeping things straight and standing up for us instead of throwing us under the bus, new workers who do not care and do not want to work, and zero management support from the higher ups. Even the new supervisors... I feel bad for them. They're thrown into this chaos and very few last more than a few weeks, and those that do take too much of a liberal approach to things.

Perhaps it is time for me to move on. The worst part? I've known for 3 years that I could've been making almost twice as much elsewhere, for about the same amount of work, if not less, and a lot closer. Some times, I become loyal to a fault to things, causes and people, and breaking that off is nearly impossible until the other party has all but given hope on me. And I'm starting to realize that this place isn't what it was and I should, you know, let it go. I say every year, half jokingly, that I'd quit working there. My FT co-workers even laugh at it, because I've been saying I would for 5 years! But Alas, it is a difficult decision I shall mull over a bit more...

8 comments:

  1. Farmville?! is it 2009 lol

    How about finding similar work closer to home etc? sounds like you enjoy it and if you weren't working you'd probably be spending money during the weekends...

    HS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wouldn't spend money if I was free on the weekends... haven't done that to date, even during my weekends or days off. I'd probably play more video games, though!

      Delete
  2. Personally, I'm a fan of work-life balance. If you can survive without the extra cash flow (with $810 being "freed up" soon), I'd say seriously consider a change of pace. Use the weekends for activities you like, time for you. Then, after a while, if you still want to work the extra hours, find a new job closer to home/that makes more. Don't hold on to something that doesn't make you truly happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I could find something else. I've always wanted to try being a check out cashier! (No, seriously. I have always wanted to try that, along with phone CSR. I think they'd be... learning experiences!)

      Delete
  3. I have had a couple of side jobs that when I took them, I needed the income, and then I stayed with them a lot longer than I should have, leaving me feeling much the same way you do. When the fun is gone, it's time to move on. Find something new, close to home, that doesn't take up every weekend! You're only young once. Live a little!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was young? I really feel like an older person most of the time. Responsibility sucks! Should be fun to even consider what other things I could do.

      Delete
  4. I think, you need to look around for something closer. Loyalty is loyalty but you need to think of yourself too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanner I think it's time to give up the part time job and spend time doing things you enjoy. Also your losing money with gas and food plus the little things your not thinking of like clothes, shoes, your energy.

    Take a break. Give it up for a while. Your in a good place right now and see how it would be to have some time to yourself. You might find you save money after leaving the job...who knows. Like jay said Live a little you have been worker so hard for so long take some time and enjoy

    ReplyDelete