Monday, January 20, 2014

I can't stand cheap people

We had a wine tasting event at my part time job this past weekend for 29 people (including the wine maker and salesperson, the hotel's head honcho and his "date"--the hotel's salesperson), and I had the pleasure of having the first person I've served that walked off without paying for their bill. Now, there are a lot of points that bother me about this; the event was a pre-register/RSVP event with the price of $150pp, plus tax/tip. We issued the checks after dinner, before dessert. One of the couples at my table must've walked off while we were all on the back being briefed on dessert.

Who does that?!

Not only did they leave without paying for dinner, which they knew how much it was, but this was also a for-tip type service, so they shorted all 6 of us servers on that. I couldn't believe it. They were all locals and pre-registered. Why would you do that?

Luckily, I had caught their names while doing small talk and we found that they were staying in the hotel for the night, so the dinner was tacked on their room bill. It's just incredibly rude. If you're going out to dine, at least pay. And if our service had been that awful (it wasn't, trust me), then fine, don't leave a tip. But I cannot understand why you'd walk out without paying... I would've liked to check them out from the hotel the next day and see if they make any comments about the $300 dinner charge. Some people just make me mad. That's being cheap, not frugal!

11 comments:

  1. That's incredibly rude! That's a very expensive event. I hope that gratuity was added onto their bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is it rude but it's theft!
    I hope if they refused to pay that tacked on charge to their hotel bill that the management called the police....or at least threatened them with it.
    Does your hotel keep a blacklist of folks that are restricted from coming back? If I owned a place, I'd have one. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome that it was tacked onto their hotel bill. I'm sure they were surprised by that. I hate cheap people as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not cheap, it's dishonesty & theft!! So glad they had that added onto their bill, i'd have added a BIG FAT TIP as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, how completely tacky and dishonest!

    BTW, what is your part-time job exactly? Working as a server for a hotel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awful. I would like to think that maybe they had a bit "too much" and overlooked it, or one thought the other had paid...but I suspect it is as you say: they're cheapskates. And obviously they left when no one was on the floor looking. Glad they got pinged for it, though! HAHAHAHA But too bad about the tips. I ALWAYS tip generously for good service. Waitstaffs have a difficult enough job without having to worry about making ends meet.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheap or dishonest? I think I would have called the cops...

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah thats definitely not something i would consider cheap, but actual theft and WRONG.

    ReplyDelete
  9. maybe since they were staying at the hotel they thought the bill would be charged to their room? or maybe they were just cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unbelievable! Who does something like that, And I always over tip since I was a waitress and once you split with the bus boys, the kitchen staff and the hostess there is never enough left.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's immature to dine and ditch like that. Haven't their parents taught them that stealing is wrong lol.

    ReplyDelete